January 15: New-to-Me Authors I Read In 2018
1. Laura Purcell- I really enjoyed The Silent Companions, and I look forward to reading Laura Purcell’s Victorian gothic follow up, The Poison Thread. Before she wrote gothic creepiness, Purcell wrote historical fiction, and I’m also interested in checking out her Georgian Queens duology.
2. Simone St. James- I binged The Other Side of Midnight, An Inquiry Into Love and Death, Silence for the Dead, Lost Among the Living, and The Broken Girls. The Haunting of Maddy Clare is the only book that she’s written at this point that I haven’t read! Her historical gothic romantic suspense is a lot of fun.
5. Vita Sackville-West- I’d heard of this author before but never read any of her work. I really enjoyed All Passion Spent, and I look forward to exploring some of her other novels like Family History and The Edwardians.
6. Eve Babitz- I really liked Eve Babitz’s essay collection Eve’s Hollywood and autobiographical novel Sex and Rage. I hope to read some of her other books like LA Woman, Black Swans, and Slow Days, Fast Company.
8. Bee Ridgway- I really enjoyed Bee Ridgway’s The River of No Return. That was written in 2013, but it definitely leaves off on a cliff hanger, with teasers for a sequel. In 2014 Ridgway released the novella The Time Tutor, which was a prequel. Since then, there’s no word of a sequel though. I don’t know if I want to invest any more time in this until there is!
I realize that all these writers are female, which was a coincidence. It was not my intention when I made the list!