For That Artsy Reader Girl’s Top Ten Tuesday
July 6: Reasons Why I Love Reading
How do I love reading? Let me count the ways:
1. There’s a book for almost every mood. If I’m depressed and I want something to cheer me up there’s a book for that. If I want something to make me cry (and hopefully feel better after) there are ones for that too.
2. Books teach me new things, Nonfiction has made me aware of things I never would have imagined before. Fiction too, actually.
3. Books entertain me. I’m rarely bored when I’m reading.
4. Reading lets me travel the world. I wish I could travel more IRL, but if I can’t, books are the next best thing.
5. I think reading has made me a more empathetic person. By getting into the heads of characters and authors with different experiences, I can understand those experiences much better, even if I’ve never had them myself,
6. I’ve made friends due to books. In college, the first friend I made on a strange campus, away from my family, was someone who I saw reading a book I love. Online I’ve made friends chatting about favorite books or types of books.
7. I have happy memories associated with reading. My parents read to me every night when I was little. I used to read (in the dark!) after I was supposed to be sleeping as a child. When I was in camp one summer, we went to a baseball game. I’m not the biggest sports fan in the world, so I brought a book with me and spent the time reading a good book, with sports fans cheering in the background. Remembering those things make me smile.
8. It’s built my vocabulary. As a kid I would use words I’d read all the time. As a result I had a very… odd vocabulary. I wouldn’t walk around the block, I would circumnavigate the block! I also frequently used, and mispronounced, words I’d read but never heard. But having a broad vocabulary definitely helped me academically as I got older.
9. Books are like friends who are around all the time. I have friends who I don’t see a lot because they live far away. But books are always there.
10. You can find hidden gems where you least expect them.